Last Friday Dustin’s Grandpa died. We have lost quite a few people that we love over the past few years and although it’s always hard to lose someone you love Dustin’s Grandparents have been more like parents to him. They ARE his family and have played a huge roll in his life. I’m sad for Dustin and I’m sad that London won’t remember him. In conversations about having children, my husband always made it clear that he wanted our children to know our grandparents. Just a week earlier we were at their house and we are so thankful that our last memories of him were of him joking around with Brinley. Brinley was dancing around and kept stepping on Grandpa’s feet and we were telling her to watch what she was doing and Grandpa said, “Yeah or I’m going to jump on your feet” and for those of you that know Brinley this won’t be a shocker, but her reply was, “You can’t even walk.” He just laughed.
Grandpa has struggled with a body that hasn’t really worked for him for quite some time, but just a few days prior to his death things got pretty bad. I was so touched by this line Kathryn wrote in an email she sent out to all of the family. “It was a bad night last night! He didn't seem to know what was the matter with him, but when I later asked what I could do for him, he said I could "help him breath". I took off my nightly oxygen and put it on him, but it didn't seem to make a difference.” What an example of love. “I took off my nightly oxygen mask and put it on him.” I’m so thankful that my husband grew up with this kind of example and I’m so thankful for the example they have been to me in the past 10 years of my life.
Mike asked Doyle to give Jeremy a hug. There is no doubt in my mind that that actually took place.
I feel so incredibly blessed to be a part of this amazing family.
Goodbye Grandpa. And thanks for playing a huge roll in making my husband who he is today.
2 comments:
Good post.
It was great to see you at the funeral. It was all so nice! Even though it went long it didn't seem long at all to me! Doyle is very precious to all of us!! So glad we are family! You are such a neat girl Shelly!!!!
Post a Comment