Sunday, December 07, 2008

Gratitude and Grieving

The weekend before Thanksgiving my Grandpa took us to find a Christmas tree. This is a tradition I look forward to every year. I even missed Ashley's baby shower because tree hunting with Grandpa is so important to me. I know I could buy a permit and cut a tree down anytime, but going with Grandpa has always meant so much to me. He started this tradition years ago. Dustin found the perfect tree for us. You can see Grandpa in the truck. At the moment I took this picture Grandpa cracked a funny joke about our tree.
This last picture means so much to me, as it was the last picture ever taken of Grandpa.

My Grandpa died on Thanksgiving. It was a total shock to all of us. I can't express the impact my Grandpa had on my life. We were all so close to him! I am so sad for my poor mom who did everything she could to save her dad's life and my poor little Grandma who doesn't even know how to take her next step. None of our lives will ever be the same without you Grandpa. We love you and miss you so much!








5 comments:

Lacy, Cody, & the girls said...

Oh Shelley, I am so sorry. What sweet memories you have with your dear grandpa. ♥
Let me know if I can do anything for you.

{Jamey} said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. It was nice you got to have one last trip with him though. What a good memory to end on.

Grandma Duffy said...

I am sorry for the loss of your grandpa. They are special people in our lives. You were so blessed to be so close to him!

Brooke said...

Shelley, I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. What a great thing that you were able to spend that day with him and that you have such great memories. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. One of my Grandpas died about 5 years ago and it was also very hard. He lived in Vegas so I didn't get to see him too often but I too had (have) wonderful memories of my grandpa.

Steph said...

I'm sorry! But I am SO GLAD that you were able to continue with your tradition before he passed. He will still be with you in spirit ... but it's def not the same. Take care ... all my love ...