This was Brinley's first year of playing soccer. Sometimes we think she was born to be an athlete. I will never forget the time we went camping with here when she wasn't even 2 years old and she ran miles, I'm not even kidding, miles around the loop without stopping. She's a fast little runner and an amazing gymnast. She is the youngest gymnast in her level 2 class. In fact, just a few weeks ago they pulled us aside in gymnastics and told us she has a lot of potential and would like to put her in a different class and get ready to start training her for their competition team. We decided not to do that, but that's besides to point. Dustin and I are both really into sports. Soccer was what I did growing up. We were somewhat shocked to see that she was honestly the worst one on her team (Brinley, please don't hate me for writing that). Generally in the first year of soccer the kids all chase the ball in a herd. And they did, but then there was Brinley several feet behind skipping, yes the ENTIRE game! She didn't stop skipping once during that game. She even skipped around the ball, didn't touch it, but skipped around it. One game she did cartwheels on the field and pretty soon several of the kids were doing cartwheels too. She just didn't get it, or she didn't care. She just skipped around for several games. I had accepted the fact that soccer just wasn't her thing, but also kind of sad that she wasn't getting it. We worked with her a little bit and told her there is a rule that you can't skip during soccer. And then...
it clicked, or something. She started kicking the ball once in a while and then that drive and desire that I know she is just overflowing with started to show. Brinley made her first goal. Dustin and I were both ridiculously proud. No, not because she has to be the best or the star of the show. Not because she has to score goals or because she even has to like soccer, but because there is nothing a parent wants more than to see their child succeed in whatever they choose to do. She didn't quite get that she made a goal at first, but she had quite the group of supporters on the side line cheering for her and Dustin quickly reminded her, "THAT'S A GOAL BABY!" and I almost cried. I really almost did, but only because I had watched her go from really struggling with something to watching her succeed. It was all down hill from there. She's a great little soccer player now and has earned quite the stack of $1 bills from all of the goals she made.

No comments:
Post a Comment