Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Humbling Day

My day started off at the gym.  I'm still running, but usually I do short intervals between walking and running.  Sometimes this is discouraging  when I compare it to what my body used to do.  I then noticed a guy with a wheelchair.  I watched him as he would move his wheelchair from one machine to the next, but I was completely baffled when I saw him step onto the treadmill.  I'm not sure what was wrong with his legs, maybe an injury??  He appeared to have problems with both of his legs, but one foot was completely angled so that when he walk he was walking on the side of his foot, almost his ankle.  I did not want to make him feel like I was staring at him, but I couldn't help it.  I was so amazed by his determination.  I wondered what his story was and what motivated him to do something so incredibly hard and probably painful.  And because of that I am thankful.  I'm so thankful for what my body is physically able to do when so many others are never even given the chance.

Later in the day I sat at my desk and cried over the phone with my Mom and we discussed the results from her recent cat scan.  Although she has endured 3 months of chemo therapy her cancer has continued to spread through her bones. And as I sat at my desk  with tears streaming down my face I could feel little kicks and movements inside of me and that brought a smile to my face and got me thinking about life.    Although I am deeply saddened, I'm thankful for humbling experiences that make me realize that God has given me so much more than I deserve.  I have hair, yet I complain about "bad hair days".  My life does not revolve around chemo treatments.  I can plan a vacation or a trip when I want, yet I complain about not having enough time in a day to accomplish the things that I desire.  I don't have day after day of exhaustion.  I don't have to stop in the middle of doing dishes to rest, yet I complain that I'm tired.  I'm ashamed of who I am sometimes, of the things I take for granted.  Tonight I will go to bed a little more humble than I did yesterday.

5 comments:

Kari said...

You have such a good attitude. It's so easy for each of us to take everything for granted. I know I'm very guilty of this. I'm so sorry to hear things aren't going well for your mom.

Danica said...

Mom told me about your mom's results. I cried as well and I cry as I read your blog. I pray for her everyday!! Love you guys!

MALINDA said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. Long distance hugs from me.X

Grandma Duffy said...

I am so sorry the results were so disappointing! You both are in my thoughts and prayers!
You are so right...we need to be grateful for what we do have and not be so hard on ourselves. You have reminded me of that today, once again. ♥

{Jamey} said...

I like this post :) Thanks for sharing something so personal. We really all should take moments like this and remember why we are so blessed. I'm thinking and praying for you and your mom and I'm sorry you have to go through something so hard. You are great!