Sunday, June 13, 2010

Karate Kid and Did that really just happen?

Brax invited Brinley to go to karate with him for buddy week. It was a little bit over her head, but they had so much fun together.

 
 


We went to leave and my car wouldn’t start. I just thought, you have got to be kidding me.

Let me bring you up to date on our car situation. We have 2 cars, one is ok and the other one is far less than ok. It’s pretty much where we donate all of our money to.  It’s not even worth anything. We have had nothing but problems with this car. Luckily I married someone that knows a lot about cars (obviously not too much or we wouldn’t have bought the car – just kidding), but he is always fixing something. In the short time we have owned it we have fixed a window, control arm bushings, strut mount, tirod ends, the ignition, the starter, replaced a battery, bought new tires and got an alignment… twice… yes, on the same car… in a three moth period. And then there is all the stuff that still needs to be fixed. And then there have been a few repairs to the ok car, the one that I drive.

So… it feels like we have spent most of the year with one car. Back to my story… Dustin took most of the day off of work just the day before so he could fix our ‘piece’ car. It still has problems, but it was at least drivable. So, when our good car wouldn’t start I of course called him. And he of course said he would be right there. Good thing he had gotten our other car fixed just the day before. My sister said she would wait and make sure everything was ok, but I assured her it would be. My husband knows cars and he would be here to pick us up in a minute so I assured her it was fine for her to leave.

Dustin arrived and tried to jump start the car, but it didn’t work. We moved Brinley’s car seat and all the other junk that goes along with having a baby into our ‘piece’ car. I had somewhere to be so Dustin said he would drop me off, but I just told him he could take us home and I would cancel what I had going so he could work on the car. He was pretty sure it was just that battery, but we had decided we bought a new battery 3 years ago. Aren’t they supposed to last longer than that?

After we had transferred all of our junk into the other car, we got in, buckled Brinley and… nothing. The car wouldn’t start.. the first time, but then it started and we were on our way and we pulled out onto the highway and made it to the middle of the road and that’s when it quit. Not only did it quit, but he electric locks wouldn’t work. We were locked in the car, in the middle of the road, cars were piling up behind us getting frustrated at us (like we were just sitting there for fun) and Brinley kept saying, “I have to go potty, I have to go potty” so I took her clothes off of her and helped her put a pull-up on so she could go potty. Dustin had his window down enough that he was able to crawl out. Not sure what he did, but he was able to get the car unlocked so Brinley and I could get out. We drug her car seat across traffic, scrounged up enough change to buy her a snow cone (we never carry cash) and she sat in her car seat in the parking lot to eat it.

Called someone to tow the car that was sitting in the middle of the road and called Dustin’s dad to help rescue us and the other car. A few hours, one battery and some cuss words later we are back to being our happy little one car family.

I would have gladly went car shopping that night...if I had a way to get there.

3 comments:

wendy said...

What an awful experience. I would have been so stressed and I'm sure you were too. I like your blog, great descriptions of your lives!

Grandma Duffy said...

you write so well. What a bummer of an experience.

James and Trisha Taylor said...

Oh how fun;} Don't you just love when life tosses those bumps in the road at ya. I'm glad that in the end everything worked out for you!